Dr. Yvette Kuiper
- Ph.D., Geology, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Canada, 2003
- M.Sc., Geology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, the Netherlands, 1997
- Evolution of mountain belts with an emphasis on shear zones and fold belts, currently focused on the southeastern New England Appalachians, the southern Abitibi Greenstone Belt of Ontario and Quebec, and the Idaho Springs - Ralston Shear Zone in Colorado.
- Structural analysis and geochronology of complexly deformed metamorphosed regions.
- Link between microstructures and growth of accessory minerals with tectonic motions and the evolution of mountain belts and (super)continents.
- Use of geochronologic methods to date deformation and investigate rates of deformation.
- Comparison of field structural data with numerical models that predict the formation and development of structures.
- Structural setting of ore deposits.
- Recent field areas include: Rackla Gold Belt, Yukon, Canada; Foxe Fold Belt, Nunavut, Canada; Monashee Complex, British Columbia, Canada; Hudson Valley fold-thrust belt, NY; Superior Boundary Zone, Manitoba, Canada.
- GEOL 311: Structural Geology for Mining Engineers
- GEGN 316: Field Geology (Field Camp)
- GEOL 505: Advanced Structural Geology
- GEOL 540: Isotope Geochemistry and Geochronology
- GEOL 555: Structural Field Research
- Kuiper, Y.D. 2016. Development of the Norumbega fault system in Devonian New England: An integrated subducted oceanic spreading ridge model. Geology 44, 455-458.
- Palmer, J.C., Kuiper, Y.D. 2016. Structural geology of the eastern Nadaleen Trend, Yukon Territory, Canada: Implications for recently discovered sedimentary rock-hosted gold. Ore Geology Reviews 80, 48-60.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Williams, P.F., Hamilton, M.A., 2015. Effects of Paleogene faults on the reconstruction of the metamorphic history of the northwestern Thor-Odin dome of the Monashee Complex, southeastern British Columbia. Lithosphere. doi:10.1130/L414.1
- Capistrant, P.L., Hitzman, M.W., Wood, D., Kelly, N.M., Williams, G., Zimba, M., Kuiper, Y.D., Jack, D., Stein, H., 2015. Geology of the Enterprise Hydrothermal Nickel Deposit, North-Western Province, Zambia. Economic Geology 110, 9-38.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Shields, C.D., Tubrett, M.N., Bennett, V. Buchwaldt, R., 2014. Age and provenance of a Paleoproterozoic to Devonian Canadian Cordilleran passive margin sequence, Thor–Odin dome, southeastern British Columbia. Geological Society of America Bulletin 126, 1259–1274.
- Zanoni, D., Kuiper, Y.D., Williams, P.F., 2014. Pre- to post-Cordilleran transposition history at Joss Mountain: insights into the exhumation of the Shuswap complex, southeastern Canadian Cordillera. Lithosphere. doi:10.1130/L346.1
- Kuiper, Y.D., Buchanan, J.W., Charnock, R.C., Hepburn, J.C., Kopera, J.P., 2014. Structural history of the Nashoba terrane – Merrimack belt boundary zone, eastern Massachusetts. Guidebook for Field Trips, New England Intercollegiate Geological Conference Field Trip C4.
- Hepburn, J.C., Kuiper, Y.D., Buchanan, J.W., Kay, A., Dabrowski, D.R., 2014. Evolution of the Nashoba terrane, an early Paleozoic Ganderian arc remnant in eastern Massachusetts. Guidebook for Field Trips, New England Intercollegiate Geological Conference, Field Trip B3.
- McPherren, E.D., Kuiper, Y.D., 2013. The effects of dissolution-precipitation creep on quartz fabrics within the Purgatory Conglomerate, Rhode Island. Journal of Structural Geology 51, 105–117.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Lin, S., Böhm, C.O., 2011. Himalayan-type escape tectonics along the Superior Boundary Zone in Manitoba, Canada. Precambrian Research 187, 248-262.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Lin, S., Jiang, D., 2011. Deformation partitioning in transpressional shear zones with an along-strike stretch component: an example from the Superior Boundary Zone, Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Structural Geology 33, 192-202.
- Short, H.A., Kuiper, Y.D., Johnson, S.E., Jiang, D., 2011. Estimation of vorticity from fibrous calcite veins, central Maine, USA - Corrigendum. Journal of Structural Geology 33, p. 59.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Jiang, D., 2010. Kinematics of deformation constructed from deformed planar and linear elements: the method and its application. Tectonophysics 492, 175-191.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Ebel, J.E., 2010. Fault-related rocks in eastern Massachusetts: how is fault movement accommodated at various crustal levels? Field trip for the 82nd annual meeting of the Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America, 14 pp.
- Marshak, S., Burmeister, K.C., Sen, P., Yakovlev, P., Kuiper, Y.D., 2009. Structures of the Hudson-Valley Fold-Thrust belt in the Appalachian Foreland in Eastern New York. New York State Geological Association 81st Annual Meeting (25-27 September), New Paltz, NY, 1.1-1.18.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2009. Sheath fold in mylonite of the Assean Lake shear zone, northern Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Structural Geology 31, p. 1442.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2008. The dry-erase cube: making three-dimensional visualization easy. Journal of Geoscience Education 56, 261-268.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Jiang, D., Lin, S., 2007. Relationship between non-cylindrical fold geometry and the shear direction in monoclinic and triclinic shear zones. Journal of Structural Geology 29, 1022-1033.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Williams, P.F., Kruse, S., 2006. Possibility of channel flow in the southern Canadian Cordillera; a new approach to explain existing data. In: R.D. Law, M. Searle and L. Godin (eds). Channel Flow, Ductile Extrusion and Exhumation of Lower-mid Crust in Continental Collision Zones. Journal of the Geological Society of London, Special Publications, 268, 587-609.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2005. Isotopic age constraints from electron microprobe U-Th-Pb dates, using a three-dimensional concordia diagram. American Mineralogist, 90, 586-591.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2002. The interpretation of inverse isochron diagrams in 40Ar/39Ar geochronology. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 203, 499-506.