Dr. Yvette Kuiper
- Ph.D., Geology, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Canada, 2003
- M.Sc., Geology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, the Netherlands, 1997
- Structural analysis and geochronology of complexly deformed metamorphic regions.
- Link between microstructures and growth of accessory minerals with tectonic motions and the evolution of mountain belts and (super)continents.
- Comparison of field structural data with numerical models that predict the formation and development of structures.
- Development of shear zones (e.g., Superior Boundary Zone, Manitoba, Canada; southeastern New England Appalachians) and fold belts (e.g., Foxe Fold Belt, Nunavut, Canada).
- Use of geochronologic methods to date deformation and investigate rates of deformation.
- Structural setting of ore deposits.
- GEOL 311: Structural Geology for Mining Engineers
- GEGN 316: Field Geology (Field Camp)
- GEOL 505: Applied Structural Geology
- Kuiper, Y.D., Lin, S., Böhm, C.O., 2011. Himalayan-type escape tectonics along the Superior Boundary Zone in Manitoba, Canada. Precambrian Research 187, 248-262.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Lin, S., Jiang, D., 2011. Deformation partitioning in transpressional shear zones with an along-strike stretch component: an example from the Superior Boundary Zone, Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Structural Geology 33, 192-202.
- Short, H.A., Kuiper, Y.D., Johnson, S.E., Jiang, D., 2011. Estimation of vorticity from fibrous calcite veins, central Maine, USA - Corrigendum. Journal of Structural Geology 33, p. 59.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Jiang, D., 2010. Kinematics of deformation constructed from deformed planar and linear elements: the method and its application. Tectonophysics 492, 175-191.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Ebel, J.E., 2010. Fault-related rocks in eastern Massachusetts: how is fault movement accommodated at various crustal levels? Field trip for the 82nd annual meeting of the Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America, 14 pp.
- Marshak, S., Burmeister, K.C., Sen, P., Yakovlev, P., Kuiper, Y.D., 2009. Structures of the Hudson-Valley Fold-Thrust belt in the Appalachian Foreland in Eastern New York. New York State Geological Association 81st Annual Meeting (25-27 September), New Paltz, NY, 1.1-1.18.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2009. Sheath fold in mylonite of the Assean Lake shear zone, northern Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Structural Geology 31, p. 1442.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2008. The dry-erase cube: making three-dimensional visualization easy. Journal of Geoscience Education 56, 261-268.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Jiang, D., Lin, S., 2007. Relationship between non-cylindrical fold geometry and the shear direction in monoclinic and triclinic shear zones. Journal of Structural Geology 29, 1022-1033.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Williams, P.F., Kruse, S., 2006. Possibility of channel flow in the southern Canadian Cordillera; a new approach to explain existing data. In: R.D. Law, M. Searle and L. Godin (eds). Channel Flow, Ductile Extrusion and Exhumation of Lower-mid Crust in Continental Collision Zones. Journal of the Geological Society of London, Special Publications, 268, 587-609.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2005. Isotopic age constraints from electron microprobe U-Th-Pb dates, using a three-dimensional concordia diagram. American Mineralogist, 90, 586-591.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2002. The interpretation of inverse isochron diagrams in 40Ar/39Ar geochronology. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 203, 499-506.