Dr. Yvette Kuiper
- Ph.D., Geology, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Canada, 2003
- M.Sc., Geology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, the Netherlands, 1997
- Structural analysis and geochronology of complexly deformed metamorphic regions.
- Link between microstructures and growth of accessory minerals with tectonic motions and the evolution of mountain belts and (super)continents.
- Comparison of field structural data with numerical models that predict the formation and development of structures.
- Evolution of mountain belts with an emphasis on shear zones and fold belts.
- Use of geochronologic methods to date deformation and investigate rates of deformation.
- Structural setting of ore deposits.
- Current and recent field areas include: the southeastern New England Appalachians, MA and beyond; southern Abitibi Greenstone Belt, Ontario and Quebec, Canada; Rackla Gold Belt, Yukon, Canada; Idaho Springs - Ralston Shear Zone, CO; Foxe Fold Belt, Nunavut, Canada; Monashee Complex, British Columbia, Canada; Hudson Valley fold-thrust belt, NY; Superior Boundary Zone, Manitoba, Canada.
- GEOL 311: Structural Geology for Mining Engineers
- GEGN 316: Field Geology (Field Camp)
- GEOL 505: Advanced Structural Geology
- GEOL 540: Isotope Geochemistry and Geochronology
- GEOL 598: Geological Field Research
- Kuiper, Y.D., Shields, C.D., Tubrett, M.N., Bennett, V. Buchwaldt, R., 2014. Age and provenance of a Paleoproterozoic to Devonian Canadian Cordilleran passive margin sequence, Thor–Odin dome, southeastern British Columbia. Geological Society of America Bulletin 126, 1259–1274.
- Zanoni, D., Kuiper, Y.D., Williams, P.F., 2014. Pre- to post-Cordilleran transposition history at Joss Mountain: insights into the exhumation of the Shuswap complex, southeastern Canadian Cordillera. Lithosphere. doi:10.1130/L346.1
- Kuiper, Y.D., Buchanan, J.W., Charnock, R.C., Hepburn, J.C., Kopera, J.P., 2014. Structural history of the Nashoba terrane – Merrimack belt boundary zone, eastern Massachusetts. Guidebook for Field Trips, New England Intercollegiate Geological Conference Field Trip C4.
- Hepburn, J.C., Kuiper, Y.D., Buchanan, J.W., Kay, A., Dabrowski, D.R., 2014. Evolution of the Nashoba terrane, an early Paleozoic Ganderian arc remnant in eastern Massachusetts. Guidebook for Field Trips, New England Intercollegiate Geological Conference, Field Trip B3.
- McPherren, E.D., Kuiper, Y.D., 2013. The effects of dissolution-precipitation creep on quartz fabrics within the Purgatory Conglomerate, Rhode Island. Journal of Structural Geology 51, 105–117.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Lin, S., Böhm, C.O., 2011. Himalayan-type escape tectonics along the Superior Boundary Zone in Manitoba, Canada. Precambrian Research 187, 248-262.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Lin, S., Jiang, D., 2011. Deformation partitioning in transpressional shear zones with an along-strike stretch component: an example from the Superior Boundary Zone, Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Structural Geology 33, 192-202.
- Short, H.A., Kuiper, Y.D., Johnson, S.E., Jiang, D., 2011. Estimation of vorticity from fibrous calcite veins, central Maine, USA - Corrigendum. Journal of Structural Geology 33, p. 59.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Jiang, D., 2010. Kinematics of deformation constructed from deformed planar and linear elements: the method and its application. Tectonophysics 492, 175-191.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Ebel, J.E., 2010. Fault-related rocks in eastern Massachusetts: how is fault movement accommodated at various crustal levels? Field trip for the 82nd annual meeting of the Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America, 14 pp.
- Marshak, S., Burmeister, K.C., Sen, P., Yakovlev, P., Kuiper, Y.D., 2009. Structures of the Hudson-Valley Fold-Thrust belt in the Appalachian Foreland in Eastern New York. New York State Geological Association 81st Annual Meeting (25-27 September), New Paltz, NY, 1.1-1.18.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2009. Sheath fold in mylonite of the Assean Lake shear zone, northern Manitoba, Canada. Journal of Structural Geology 31, p. 1442.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2008. The dry-erase cube: making three-dimensional visualization easy. Journal of Geoscience Education 56, 261-268.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Jiang, D., Lin, S., 2007. Relationship between non-cylindrical fold geometry and the shear direction in monoclinic and triclinic shear zones. Journal of Structural Geology 29, 1022-1033.
- Kuiper, Y.D., Williams, P.F., Kruse, S., 2006. Possibility of channel flow in the southern Canadian Cordillera; a new approach to explain existing data. In: R.D. Law, M. Searle and L. Godin (eds). Channel Flow, Ductile Extrusion and Exhumation of Lower-mid Crust in Continental Collision Zones. Journal of the Geological Society of London, Special Publications, 268, 587-609.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2005. Isotopic age constraints from electron microprobe U-Th-Pb dates, using a three-dimensional concordia diagram. American Mineralogist, 90, 586-591.
- Kuiper, Y.D., 2002. The interpretation of inverse isochron diagrams in 40Ar/39Ar geochronology. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 203, 499-506.