Dr. Richard Wendlandt
- Ph.D., 1978, The Pennsylvania State University, Geochemistry and Mineralogy
- Predoctoral Fellowship, 1976-1978, Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington
- B.A., 1973, Dartmouth College, Earth Sciences
- Environmental and applied mineralogy
- Experimental geochemistry
- Reservoir characterization/petrophysics with an emphasis on the effects of clay minerals on rock and fluid properties
- Integration of experimental and numerical simulations of fluid-rock interactions
- Genesis of magmas and effects of volatile components on magmatic processes
- Igneous occurrences and their relation to continental rift structure, evolution, and tectonics
- GEGN 307 - Petrology
- GEGN 321 - Mineralogy and Mineral Characterization
- GEGN 316 - Field Geology
- GEOL 512 - Mineralogy and Crystal Chemistry
- GEGN 530 - Clay Mineral Characterization
- GEOL 617 - Thermodynamics and Phase Equilibria
- GEOL 628 - Advanced Igneous Petrology
- GEOL 645 - Volcanology
- Medical Geology
- Phase Rule and Heterogeneous Equilibria
- Carbonatites and Their Ore Deposits
- Geothermometry and Geobarometry
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Silicate Mineralogy
- Igneous Processes in Continental Rifts
- Changing Paradigms of Magmatic Processes
- 1997-present, Professor, Colorado School of Mines
- 1993-1994 and 2008-2009, Chairman, Geochemistry Program, Colorado School of Mines
- 2004, Honorary Visiting Lecturer, School of Earth, Atmosphere, and Environmental Sciences, Univ. of Manchester, UK. Investigations of mineral surface properties related to arsenic adsorption on solids and cytoxicity of respirable quartz at the Synchrotron Radiation Source, Daresbury Laboratory, UK.
- 1991-1997, Associate Professor, Colorado School of Mines
- 1987-1991, Assistant Professor, Colorado School of Mines
- 1982-1987, Research Specialist and Senior Research Geologist, Exxon Production Research Co. Research on effects of clay minerals on rock and fluid properties; petrophysical measurements (high P and T triaxial pressure apparatus, Vp and Vs, resistivity, proton NMR, gamma-ray spectrometry, CEC) applied to formation evaluation.
- 1979-1982, Scientist, Lunar and Planetary Institute. Field, experimental and theoretical studies of trace element partitioning between phases, effects of volatiles (CO2, H2O, S, and Cl) on planetary differentiation, and magma genesis.
- 1978-1979, Postdoctoral Fellow, USGS (Reston), Branch of Experimental Geochemistry/Mineralogy
- 1978, Postdoctoral Fellow, Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington
- Kil, Y., Lee, S.-H., Park, M.-H., and Wendlandt, R.F. (2010) Nature of serpentinization of ultramafic rocks from Hero Fracture Zone, Antarctic: Constraints from stable isotopes. Marine Geology 274, 43-49.
- Bell, A.M.T., Henderson, C.M.B., Wendlandt, R.F., and Harrison, W.J. (2009) Rietveld refinement of Sr5(AsO4)3Cl from high-resolution synchrotron data. Acta Crystallographica, E65, i17-i17, and supplement, 7 pp.
- Bell, A.M.T., Henderson, C.M.B., Wendlandt, R.F., and Harrison, W.J. (2008) Rietveld refinement of Ba5(AsO4)3Cl from high-resolution synchrotron data. Acta Crystallographica, E64, i63-i64, and supplement, 8 pp.
- Harrison, W.J. and Wendlandt, R.F. (2007) Weathering of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks in a semi-arid climate - clay mineralogy in a geological engineering context. Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 55, no. 4, pp. 295-309.
- Wendlandt, R.F., Harrison, W.J., and Vaughan, D.J. (2007) Surface coatings on quartz grains in bentonites and their relevance to human health. Applied Geochemistry, v. 22, pp. 2290-2306.
- Kil, Y. and Wendlandt, R.F. (2007) Depleted and enriched mantle processes under the Rio Grande rift: spinel peridotite xenoliths. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 154, 135-151.
- Kil, Y. and Wendlandt, R.F. (2004) Pressure and temperature evolution of upper mantle under the Rio Grande Rift. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 148, 265-280.
- Collett, T.S. and Wendlandt, R.F. (2000) formation evaluation of gas-hydrate-bearing marine sediments on the Blake Ridge with downhole geochemical measurements. Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program: Scientific Results. Vol. 164, 195-215.
- Kaszuba, J.P. and Wendlandt, R.F. (2000) Effect of carbon dioxide on dehydration melting reactions and melt compositions in the lower crust. J. Petrology 41, no. 3, 363-386.
- Evensen, J.M., London, D., and Wendlandt, R.F. (1999) Solubility and stability of beryl in granitic melts. American Mineralogist 84, 733-745.
- Wendlandt, R.F. (1999) Geothermometry and Geobarometry. In, Marshall, C. P. and Fairbridge, R. W. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Geochemistry, Kluwer Academic Publisher, Dordrecht, 305-307.
- Wendlandt, R.F., Harrison, W J., Simon, J I., Chastain, E.A., and Ernstberger, J.J. (1998) Integrated experimental and numerical assesment of acid buffer capacity evolution in soils. Proc. 5th International Conf. On Tailings and Mine Waste '98: Balkema, Rotterdam, 679-688.
- Keith, D.A., Harrison, W.J., Wendlandt, R.F., and Daniels, E.J. (1998) Mineralogical responses of siliciclastic carbonate-cemented reservoirs to steamflood enhanced oil recovery. Applied Geochemistry, 13, 491-507.
- Mehta, A.P., Makogon, T.Y., Burruss, R.C., Wendlandt, R.F., and Sloan, E.D. (1996) A composite phase diagram of structure H hydrates using Schreinemakers' geometric approach. Fluid Phase Equilibria 121, 141-165.
- Keller, G.R., Bott, M H.P., Wendlandt, R.F., Doser, D.I., and Morgan, P. (1995) The Baikal Rift System, in K. H. Olsen, ed., Continental Rifts: Evolution, Structure, and Tectonics, Elsevier, pp. 325-341.
- Braile, L. W., Keller, G. R., Wendlandt, R.F., Morgan, P., and Khan, M. A. (1995) The East African Rift System, in K. H. Olsen, ed., Continental Rifts: Evolution, Structure, and Tectonics, Elsevier, pp. 213-231.
- Wendlandt, R.F., Altherr, R., Neumann, E.-R., and Baldridge, W.S. (1995) Petrology, Geochemistry, Isotopes, in K. H. Olsen, ed., Continental Rifts: Evolution, Structure, and Tectonics, Elsevier, pp. 47-60.
- Keller, G R., Wendlandt, R.F., and Bott, M.H.P. (1995) West and Central African Rift System. In, K. H. Olsen (ed.), Continental Rifts: Evolution, Structure, and Tectonics, Elsevier, pp. 325-341.
- Harrison, W.J., Wendlandt, R.F., and Sloan, E.D. (1995) Geochemical interactions resulting from carbon dioxide disposal on the sea floor. Applied Geochem., 10, 461-475.
- Hay, D.E., Wendlandt, R.F., and Keller, G.R. (1995) Origin of Kenya rift Plateau-type flood phonolites: Integrated petrologic and geophysical constraints on the evolution of the crust and upper mantle beneath the Kenya rift. J. Geophys. Res., 100, 10549-10557.
- Hay, D.E., Wendlandt, R.F., and Wendlandt, E.D. (1995) The origin of Kenya rift Plateau-type flood phonolites: Evidence from geochemical studies for fusion of lower crust modified by alkali basaltic magmatism. J. Geophys. Res., 100, 411-422.
- Hay, D.E. and Wendlandt, R.F. (1995) The origin of Kenya rift Plateau-type flood phonolites: Results of high-pressure/high-temperature experiments in the systems phonolite-H2O and phonolite-H2O-CO2. J. Geophys. Res., 100, 401-410.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Harrison, W J. (1995) Integration of advanced analytical applications into the Geological Engineering curriculum. 1995 ASEE Annual Conf. Proc., v. 1, 1805-1815.
- Penn, B.S., Gordon, A J., and Wendlandt, R.F. (1993) Using neural networks to locate edges and linear features in satellite images. Computers and Geosciences, 19, 1545-1565.
- Bethke, C.M., Lee, M.K., and Wendlandt, R.F. (1992) Mass transport and chemical reaction in sedimentary basins: Natural and artificial diagenesis. In, M. Quintard and M. Todorovic (eds.), Heat and Mass Transfer in Porous Media, Elsevier, 421-434.
- Wendlandt, R.F., W. Scott Baldridge, and E.-R. Neumann (1991) Modification of lower crust by continental rift magmatism. Geophys. Res. Lett. 18, 1759-1762.
- Wendlandt, R.F. (1991) Oxygen diffusion in basalt and andesite melts: Experimental results and comparison of chemical versus tracer diffusion. Contrib. Mineral. Petrol. 108, 463-471.
- Keller, G.R., Khan, M.A., Morgan, P., Wendlandt, R.F., Baldridge, W.S., Olsen, K.H., Prodehl, C., and Braile, L.W. (1991) A comparative study of the Rio Grande and Kenya Rifts. Tectonophys. 197, 355-371.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Bhuyan, K. (1990) Estimation of mineralogy and lithology from geochemical logging measurements. A.A.P.G. 74, no. 6, 837-856.
- Wendlandt, R.F., Harrison, W.J., and Beaty, D.W. (1990) Origin of the ore deposits at Gilman, Colorado. Part V: Reaction path model for the formation of manto-type massive sulfide replacement deposits at Gilman, Colorado, in, D.W. Beaty, G P. Landis, and T.B. Thompson, eds., Econ. Geol. Monograph 7, Carbonate-Hosted Sulfide Deposits of the Central Colorado Mineral Belt, 246-254.
- Beaty, D.W., Cunningham, C.G., Harrison, W.J., Landis, G.P., Merchant, J.S., Naeser, C.W., and Wendlandt, R.F. (1990) Origin of the ore deposits at Gilman, Colorado. Part VI: Discussion and summary of the genetic model. Econ. Geol. Monograph 7, Carbonate-Hosted Sulfide Deposits of the Central Colorado Mineral Belt (eds., D. W. Beaty, G. P. Landis, and T. B. Thompson), 255-265.
- Wendlandt, R.F. (1984) An experimental and theoretical analysis of partial melting in the system KAlSiO4-CaO-MgOSiO2-CO2 and applications to the genesis of potassic magmas, carbonatites and kimberlites. In, Kimberlites. I: Kimberlites and Related Rocks (ed., J. Kornprobst), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 359-369.
- Wendlandt, R.F., Huebner, J.S., and Harrison, W.J. (1982) The redox potential of boron nitride and implications for its use as a crucible material in experimental petrology. Am. Mineral. 67, 170-174.
- Wendlandt, R.F. (1982) Sulfide saturation of basalt and andesite melts at high pressures and temperatures. Am. Mineral. 67, 877-885.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Morgan P. A. (1982) Lithosphere thinning associated with rifting in East Africa. Nature 298, 734-736.
- Herzberg, C.T. and Wendlandt, R.F. (1982) Olivine flotation and settling experiments on the join Mg2SiO4 -Fe2SiO4. Contr. Mineral. Petrol. 80, 319-323.
- Wendlandt, R.F. (1981) Influence of CO2 on melting of model granulite facies assemblages: A model for the genesis of charnockites. Am. Mineral. 66, 1164-1174.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Mysen, B.O. (1980) Melting phase relations of natural peridotite + CO2 as a function of degree of partial melting at 15 and 30 kbar. Am. Mineral. 65, 37-44.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Eggler, D.H. (1980) Stability of sanidine + forsterite and its bearing on the genesis of potassic magmas and the distribution of potassium in the upper mantle. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 51, 215-220.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Eggler, D.H. (1980) The origins of potassic magmas: I. Melting relations in the system KAlSiO4-Mg2SiO4-SiO2 and KAlSiO4-MgO-SiO2-CO2 to 30 kilobars. Amer. J. Sci. 280, 385-420.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Eggler, D.H. (1980) The origins of potassic Magmas: II. Stability of phlogopite in natural spinel lherzolite and in the system KAlSiO4-MgO-SiO2-H2O-CO2 at high pressures and high temperatures. Amer. J. Sci. 280, 421-458.
- Eggler, D.H. and Wendlandt, R.F. (1979) Experimental studies on the relationship between kimberlite magmas and partial melting of peridotite. In, Kimberlites, Diatremes, and Diamonds: Their Geology, Petrology, and Geochemistry (eds., F.R. Boyd and H.O.A. Meyer), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D. C., 330-338.
- Wendlandt, R.F. and Harrison, W.J. (1979) Rare earth element partitioning between immiscible carbonate and silicate liquids and CO2 vapor: Results and implications for the formation of light rare earth enriched rocks. Contrib. Miner. Petrol. 69, 409-419.